Cryotherapy is a method in which we use ice or cold water to treat or reduce pain symptoms or also treat the inflammatory conditions .cryotherapy is also used in sports injury or also used in the method of prostate cancer and to treat abnormal skin cell.The physiological effect of cryotherapy is to decreased local temperature,decreases metabolism,decreased blood flow,decreased nerve conduction velocity,decreased lymphatic venous drainage,and also used in the acute inflammation like bursitis, tenosynovitis, and tendinitis, in which heat may cause additional pain and swelling.
INDICATION OR CONTRA INDICATION OF CRYOTHERAPY
- Acute and chronic pain
- To reduce Odema or swelling
- To treat tenderness area
- In Ligament sprain or muscle strain
- Inflammatory Conditions ( Bursitis, Tenosynovitis,Tendinitis)
- Muscle spasm
- Bed sores & Pressure sores
- Deep vein Thrombosis
- Open Wound
- High Blood Pressure
- Cardiac disease (CHD,Arthymia,Angina)
- Skin infection.
- Impaired sensation
- Cold Urticaria
Different methods of Cryotherapy (Ice therapy)
- Cold Packs:- In this method we can use towel or packect of ice and directly apply over the skin to reduce pain or spasm.
- Cold Whirlpool method:-In this method we use large tub filled with cold water ,then we palced the body part is to be treated.and give space to the patient to move his body part in water .
- Ice Massage :- Dircetly apply ice over the spasm or tenderness area.helpful in acute injury or used before 48 hours
- Ice Immersion :- In this method patient body part emergel in water tub,this method is mostly used in sports or rehabilitation. .